Friday, June 10, 2011

Cookies

I have been aware of cookies for a long time, but have never given them much attention--outside of my love for Double Stuf Oreo's.  I used to know how to get on and delete my cookies, probably due to wanting to hide some of my internet tracks from my parents as a child; these cookies have been an afterthought since that time though, and I cannot tell you the last time I even considered these things.

But these digital cookies are an interesting topic, and one that has resulted in a good amount of discussion due to the controversial subject of privacy.  I knew these things tracked where I went on the internet--as witnessed by my attempts to delete them as a child--but I did not realize who or why someone was tracing my steps.  I did not  understand to what extent these cookies were used or how widely the information was spread.

I am all for tracking peoples' internet usage to ensure safety and to keep criminal activity to as low a level as possible.  However, I do not support the tracing of steps and retrieval of information from internet users by third parties for their own advantages or advertising purposes.  I have no problem with giving up a little privacy to increase my level of security and safety--I do not have anything to hide--but I will not stand for having my privacy invaded for the selfish reasons of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment