Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Magazines

I do not read magazines all that often, but I do like to buy an occasional issue of Sports Illustrated or ESPN the magazine.  I actually just bought a subscription to Maxim on my Nook, and have really enjoyed it so far.  The magazine is obviously tailored towards men, as are the advertisements; and there are plenty of advertisements!  My finger gets tired scrolling through the electronic ads to find some actual content, but I knew this would be the case when I purchased the magazine.  

The ads start in the first few pages and are scattered heavily throughout the magazine--after each two-page articles there seems to be two pages of advertisements.  Like the content of the magazine, the ads appeal to men.  There are numerous ads for men's clothing, cologne, alcohol, and sports all sold through various advertising techniques--especially sex appeal.  While I think we all find these ads a hassle--and the sheer volume of ads is comical--we do have the option of simply flipping the page.  No one has our hands tied and is making us read every ad, or forcing us to read the magazine at all; if you do not find the magazine appealing, don't read it; and if you find the ads annoying, don't read them.

No comments:

Post a Comment